October 17, 2014
Hi friends, it’s Friday… woot!
It’s also my favorite time of the week where I share my random finds with you and display them in a traditional bullet point fashion. (Because I am a blogger and that’s what we do.)
As always, I invite you all to play along in the comments section by sharing your favorite things about the week, and also utilize the link up tool by clicking the blue button at the bottom to link up your #FFavorites posts!
Now onto this week’s list of Friday Favorites! Ready? Go.
Friday Favorites #59: Week of 10/17
• bareMinerals Bronzer
I have been using bareMinerals makeup for years. I turned to MAC bronzers in my dancing days, but I finally ran out of my stash of them last week.
Instead of replacing my MAC compact, I made a trip to Ulta and gave the bareMinerals READY bronzer in The Skinny Dip a try.
I have been using it all week and love it!
• BODYPOP Royal Peplum Jacket
I had the pleasure of meeting Cassey over the summer at the IDEA World Fitness Convention and think she’s incredibly talented. Her line is so cute!
And just in case any of you are wondering, she is also super sweet.
She gifted me this Royal Peplum Jacket before I left her booth and I have been all about wearing it lately.
The peplum waist is so unique and adorable!
Speaking of cute jackets and long sleeves, I can’t get enough of the ones that have thumbholes.
(BODYPOP Royal Peplum Jacket shown above)
I hate when my sleeves rise up, especially when it happens while running.
Thumbholes for the win, ya’ll!
• fall foliage
In reference to the photos above, how gorgeous are the red, orange and yellow leaves on the ground?
And these trees in our backyard?
The sight of fall foliage will never, ever get old. It’s the best! <3
• cider mill visit with Dad
I also treasure this time of year because it’s the season of cider mills.
My dad is in Michigan to help out at my grandmother’s house for a few weeks and stopped by our house on Monday before his drive up north.
A visit from Dad always equals a visit to the cider mill if it’s open!
We made sure to get a couple of hot ciders, a small bag of cider mill donuts, and left with two of their best apple products.
• unique autumn vegetables
(I guess this is the Friday Favorites of segues to the next bullet point?)
After stocking up at the cider mill, we stopped by a farmer’s market on the way home and stumbled upon some funny (to me) looking vegetables.
(mini pumpkin and mini gourds)
I don’t know why they make me smile, but they do. So interesting looking!
• curling wands
I feel like my hair is finally starting to grow. Woo hoo!
It’s out of the awkward length and is long enough to curl. To celebrate, I have been putting my straightener aside and turning to my curling wands instead over the last couple of weeks.
If the thought of using a curling wand intimidates you, don’t let it. I shared a tutorial on how I curl my hair last year and – believe me – if I can train myself to do it, so can you!
• foam rolling
Ahh, foam rollers! I don’t even hate to love them anymore. With all of my training and running lately, I love to love them.
I actually look forward to the time of night where I take a good ten minutes to roll out my sore muscles while I watch television.
I bought the orange one at DICK’s when I was training for my first half over two years ago. I believe the current version they sell of it is purple, but there are tons of similar foam rollers to choose from.
It was the best $30 investment ever!
I recently picked this Thera-roll 3.5″ firm roller (also from DICK’s) up, and it has been amazing to work out tightness in my feet and neck.
If you still have yet to try foam rolling, I strongly urge you to give it a try.
Even just a few minutes a day does a world of difference for me!
• YOU GUYS!
Ever since I posted this Letter of Hope, I have received over a handful of contributions to my fundraising page for the Hope Water Project… from YOU GUYS! Readers of this blog that I’ve never even met.
I am almost half way to my goal and plan to contribute myself as a final push over the weekend. You really blow my mind in the best way, ya’ll.
Thank you so much for your kind efforts and generosity! <3
• favorite HWG posts
Have a wonderful weekend! xo
*Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post, and merely features items I genuinely want to share with you. Please understand, however, that affiliate links may pop up on occasion. I always, always appreciate your support!
October 16, 2014
It hit me that Scott and I have officially been living in Michigan for two years this week. On October 12, 2012, we packed up our lives (and animals), took a one-way road trip up north, and haven’t looked back!
Scott mentioned it being our 2 year Michigan Move-iversary the other day, and we both couldn’t believe it’s actually been that long! Seriously.
Last year, I covered an entire year of highlights since we moved from Orlando to Rochester Hills, and I thought it would be fun to continue the tradition and be able to look back at how life changes from year to year.
Here’s what has been going on up north!
2 Year Michigan Move-iversary: A Year of Highlights
Starting October 2013…
• Started the very first Friday Favorites Link Up! (<- love you guys!)
• Celebrated Fall with a Haunted Hayride
• First trip to the dog park in Michigan (what took us so long?)
• Pistons Opening Night on Halloween
(Such a fun halftime!)
• A trip home to attend an awesome wedding and celebrate Scott’s birthday!
• Scott’s 40th Birthday!!
(Did I NOT blog about this? Geez.)
(I must have been still recuperating from that Florida trip!)
(It was fun, but pretty low-key.)
• A visit from Kelly which took us to a cider mill and Canada!
• 2013-14 Pistons Dancers Calendar Release!
• Visit from Scott’s Dad and Step-Mom and hosting our first Thanksgiving
• Pre-Christmas celebrations with friends
(Probably my favorite trip… ever.)
• 5…4…3…2… Ringing in 2014!
• A visit from Mom and lunch in Canada
• Our first time sledding! (Oops.)
• Back stage access to see Nitro Circus Live (<- amazing experience!)
• Conquering my fear of skiing!
• 2 Year Blogiversary – woohoo!
• Reflecting on what I’ve learned since moving up north
• Partnering with HOOPER on court
• Running in the snow and exploring Downtown Detroit
(and getting to interview Miranda Kerr!)
• Another trip to Florida for Katie + John’s wedding in St. Augustine!
• My last time dancing at a NBA game (wahhh.)
• Easter with friends <3
(Scott was out of town, so my friends did more than make up for it!)
• Making the decision to get my CPT through NASM
• Getting glasses. Ha. I actually love them. That’s why it’s a highlight.
• Another trip to Florida for Megan + Jack’s wedding in Tampa!
• Falling in love with Birmingham. <3
• Ohio for the day to run in the Neon Dash 5K!
• Chopping my hair off and praying it grows back healthy and long.
• Assisting HOOPER throughout the summer and getting a new tattoo.
(You can see it here.)
• Dancing in concert with Big & Rich!!
• Another trip home to Florida. This time it is to work a summer camp with our old home church!
• … And catching a dear friend’s baby shower while we were there!
• 4th of July adventures
• Girls’ Weekend Up North! (#saveoursanityweekend)
• Hanging in Downtown Rochester and stumbling upon festivals
• Arts, Beats & Eats festival in Royal Oak
• Visiting the Detroit Institute of Arts Museum (DIA)
• Cedar Point Halloweekends in Sandusky, Ohio!
• Our first Pistons Family wedding <3
• Signing up for the Detroit Free Press Half and Running with a Purpose.
(Wish me luck this weekend!)
• Quick visit from Dad and a trip to the cider mill
• Becoming a NASM Certified Personal Trainer!!
Whew! What a heck of a year it’s been.
Since sharing last year’s highlights, I can honestly say that I am in a much better place. I haven’t been secretive about the fact that transitioning to our new lives up here has been a challenge for me, and slowly but surely I am learning to accept and love what that is.
Looking back on all of last year’s exciting events makes me realize how much life really can change in a year’s time. I’m no longer dancing (in professional sports anyways), I’m a certified fitness professional, I’ve absolutely fallen in love with blogging (often), and I’m on my way to starting a completely new career.
Life sure has a funny way of panning out, doesn’t it?
Here’s to another year of highlights to come!
I hope you have a great rest of your Thursday, and I’ll see you back here bright and early with Friday Favorites!
Questions of the Day
• Have you ever made a big move (across the country, to another country, or even just away from your family?)
• If so, what has been your favorite city to reside in?
So far, I have lived in Orlando and Tampa, Florida and Rochester Hills, Michigan. Pretty much biggest two extremes in climate you can get. While I’m not sure I would want to move back home for good (besides getting to be close to friends and family!), I would love for us to explore another area… maybe somewhere in the middle or on a coast again? I’m looking forward to seeing what the next couple of years looks like for us!